Thursday, March 17, 2011

Birth...

I have not been a doula long. In three years, 10 births and many post-partum visits, I have witnessed strength, courage and incredible surrender by women and men alike. From home births, emergency ambulance rides, four day labours, unexpexcted c-sections, 11 pound babies born without drugs and to nearly having to deliver a baby myself (never had to, but have come very close.. bless the midwives:)). It's always a wild adventure. Having been through two births myself, each birth I attend brings up different emotions in me.  I worked in film and television for nearly 10 years and never once felt as important as I do in a single moment as a doula.  They say:" Love what you do" no?
 Yesterday, in the wee hours of the morning, I sat with two people I care deeply for, and witnessed them becoming parents for the second time. As I was driving home, I felt a wave of gratitude come over me. How grateful I am to be with the ones I love at such an important time in their lives. How honoured I am to be wanted and trusted at that time. Just as every birth is a blessing... every birth blesses those who get to be part of it.  I definitely feel blessed.
(foot model:  Little Oakley 2010)

2 comments:

  1. I read your blog earlier today but didn't recognize my own son's feet! They certainly don't look like that anymore. Beautiful Heidi! It is clear to all who work with you that you are doing what you love because you do it with love. Even if this next one is also a cesarean birth, we may need you to come by and visit so I can take a shower! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... you can always call me if you need me:)

    ReplyDelete